Download the Author May Torres App

Author May Torres
Powered by Conduit Mobile

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Chameleons

According to Wikipedia:

Some chameleon species are able to change their skin colors. Different chameleon species are able to change different colors which can include pink, blue, red, orange, green, black, brown, light blue, yellow and turquoise.

Some varieties of chameleon – such as the Smith’s dwarf chameleon – use their color-changing ability to blend in with their surroundings, as an effective form of camouflage

Color change is also used as an expression of the physiological condition of the lizard, and as a social indicator to other chameleons. Some research suggests that social signalling was the primary driving force behind the evolution of color change, and that camouflage evolved as a secondary concern.

Have you ever met a person with this ability? I have. Somehow, I didn’t find the ability to change colors as fascinating in humans. As a matter of fact, I found it quite bothersome. I really dislike when a person changes colors in any given situation, to go along with the consensus. They camouflage who they really are. I’ve been in situations where I know for sure someone feels one way about something, but because it’s not popular, they conform-change colors. I don’t get that. For example, if someone loves Cheerios,but another expresses a dislike for them, the chameleon now also dislikes them. What is that all about? Silly example, but you get my point. I’ve been in a group situation with people I know very well, and witnessed this chameleon type behavior. Obviously, I’m not talking about situations that call for proper decorum, and people following suit. I’m referring to casual gatherings where there should be no pressure. What compels an individual to drastically depart from who they are? Is the desire to be accepted that strong? I’ve often felt like, the oddball. I just kept stuff to myself, rather than change who I am to be popular. There’s nothing wrong with adapting to your surroundings but, shouldn’t there be a line drawn somewhere? There comes a time, when it’s just fake. I can’t trust a person like this. It makes me think, perhaps, I don’t really know them after all.

http://touchepublishers.com/Books/enchantedisland.html

No comments:

Post a Comment