Download the Author May Torres App

Author May Torres
Powered by Conduit Mobile

Friday, March 4, 2011

Thank You, Alanis Morissette

In 1981 Congress passed a resolution recognizing Women's History Week. In 1987 they expanded the focus to a whole month. March has been set aside as this month in the United Kingdom and in the United States. So in keeping with this spirit of celebration, I'd like to talk about women I admire. For the next month, I will highlight a few of these women each week. Some I know personally, and some are people I wish I knew.

The first will come as no surprise to anyone who talks to me or reads anything about me :)

Alanis Morissette


My Goddess

I love the lyrics to every single song she writes and sings. I do mean every single song. That is why I adore her. She has a very distinctive voice. There's not many artists out there that I can say, I love every single song on their album. How can I not love a woman who passionately sings: "Did you forget about me, Mr. Duplicity? I hate to bug you in the middle of dinner. It was a slap in the face, how quickly I was replaced and are you thinking of me when you fuck her?"

I admire her strength in putting her vulnerability on display. I feel like I've grown as I followed her musical journey. For every album she made, there were songs that covered what I was going through at that exact point in time.

She started out with angst-filled lyrics early on. No doubt chronicling her tumultuous life at that given time. When she released her album Jagged Little Pill, I was reeling from my very first break-up. And it was UGLY. So I was right there with her, feeling every word she belted out.

As she matured, a few albums later, she began taking responsibility for her actions. She stopped making excuses and stopped blaming others for what happened to her. She no longer played victim. I learned to do the same. And it was freeing. I forgave people and began to heal.

Alanis Morissette's words have brought me great comfort. She has fought her way through heartbreak and is now happily married with a new baby. That gives me an ounce of hope, that I will one day find a healthy relationship. I'm sure there's somebody I can click with. Just haven't met them yet :)

Through it all, she remained a beam of light, sharing her wisdom with her fans. She may not have the recognition that a Beyonce or Britney Spears has, but she has a millions of die-hard fans around the globe. We don't care that her music doesn't get radio play, we'll support and follow her no matter what. Her message is one I admire. I feel deep gratitude that she has allowed us in, on her life's journey. Thank You, Alanis Morissette!


My girl crush :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment