Download the Author May Torres App

Author May Torres
Powered by Conduit Mobile

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Thank You For Being a Friend

Thank You For Being a Friend

Posted: March 12, 2011 by May Torres in Mentions, Random, Writing
Tags: ,
i
Rate This
Quantcast


In 1981 Congress passed a resolution recognizing Women’s History Week. In 1987 they expanded the focus to a whole month. March has been set aside as this month in the United Kingdom and in the United States. So in keeping with this spirit of celebration, I’d like to talk about women I admire. For the next month, I will highlight a few of these women each week. Some I know personally, and some are people I wish I knew.

My next selection for women I admire, is someone I know personally. (Click here for previous post)

My partner in crime, R.C. Berry. I have only known her about three years, but it feels like I’ve known her so much longer. I mean that in a good way :) We have shared a life-time of experiences in such a short time span. We met and traveled together almost immediately. Our first stop, Miami’s South Beach. It was a short weekend trip but we packed in a lot of fun and discovered the start to a great friendship.

Ras and May

Since then we have traveled several more times, visited each others respective home towns, and embarked on a new journey; writing. When I met her she was an awesome event planner. I even attended her kick-ass New Year’s Eve masquerade party. It was well-planned and very successful. I had never been to an event like it. However, not too long after we met, the economy tanked. She had to put her business on hold. It was right after that, that we started writing our first books. We published them under the new publishing company we started, and haven’t looked back.

This is all well and good, but I want to tell you why I admire her. The first reason is because she has the most infectious smile. It really is, that simple. She has a Betty Rubble giggle that makes me chuckle. When we met, I was going through a terrible heartbreak. Something about her witty and sunny disposition made me feel better. She’s hilarious and if you read one of my previous posts, you’ll know that I really love funny people. A good sense of humor is such a wonderful trait to have. And boy does she have it.

I’ve never had a more generous friend. If there’s something she thinks you should have, she gives it. That includes her affection and love. There is never a time, when I have to question her feelings. She readily gives of herself, and doesn’t ask for anything in return. The very first year I met her, I fell on hard times and found myself without money to buy my children Christmas gifts. Just from me mentioning my dilemma, she took action. She sent money to my PayPal account and didn’t say a word. When I saw the email advising me that she had sent me money, I wept. The gesture was so selfless because I knew she was also going through financial hardship. She just wanted my children to have Christmas.

From that point on, I knew I had finally found a person who I could trust. Someone I could trust to have my best interest at heart. Trust that I could depend on her to be there in my time of need. No matter what the need. Trust her with my thoughts and feelings. Knowing that I could confide in her without her passing judgment. I can safely say, I know she’ll always be there. With deep love and gratitude for taking special care of our friendship, I say, thank you for being a friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment