Download the Author May Torres App

Author May Torres
Powered by Conduit Mobile

Monday, January 24, 2011

Why Is It So Hard To Find People Who Will Reciprocate?

I'm just wondering, do the people who choose to use Facebook or Twitter for business purposes, really care about networking? I've created a few different accounts for my business endeavors, separate from my personal life. For nearly a year, next to none of the people who initiated a connection, even interact with me. I didn't seek them out, they requested the "friendship." Most of them post all about themselves, and offer no feedback to the people they chose to put in their circle. Like me.

Why bother surrounding yourself with tons of people, who could potentially, become customers, just to ignore them? Are they so consumed in trying to make a name for themselves, that they forget the need to actually connect with potential consumers? I don't enjoy feeling like I was put on someone's contact list, only, to be constantly pitched with their product.

To me, networking is like a give and take. I'll pitch my idea to you, and then listen when you pitch your idea. Maybe, take it a little further, and introduce one another's goods to our respective contacts. It doesn't seem to work out that way. I feel like people are more interested in accumulating a large number of "friends" just to show that they can. Are all these people actively involved? Do they contribute, at all, to your cause? Have they become a consumer of your goods? No, mostly they're just taking up space. You've invited them into your circle, to watch the one-man show that you created.

After a while of witnessing this, I finally decided to try to create a space, for people who were serious about networking. I started a Facebook page, dedicated to helping people with a good or service, connect with others like them. People joined the page, and I began to feel hopeful. Sadly, of the number of people who joined, there are, perhaps, three people who contribute. That's including me.

I'm going to try to remain hopeful, because I truly believe in the cause. I consider myself to be supportive, of those trying to make things happen for themselves. Anyway I can help, I will. Why is it so hard to find people who will reciprocate?

1 comment:

  1. This is a great help in finding your high school friends or your relatives from far away places.

    ReplyDelete