Download the Author May Torres App

Author May Torres
Powered by Conduit Mobile

Monday, May 20, 2013

My Name Is May Torres and I'm A Writer


megaphone-clipart-8


Nearly seven years ago I found myself struggling to start my life over in a new place.  I was born and raised in New York City and through no fault of my own had to pick up and leave.  I headed up to the countryside of Upstate New York.  For a city girl at heart it was a culture shock to say the least.  I was used to fast-paced living, tall buildings and bodegas on the corner.  Where I came from you could either walk where you needed to go or take a bus. A car was nice to have but not necessary.  The complete opposite is true for the area I live in now.  A car is a necessity if you plan on eating.   The lifestyle is a lot slower and there's not much in the way of things to do.  It's been seven years and I still haven't gotten the hang of country living.

When I first arrived in the country I took on a daycare job.  I had been in the childcare industry for many years before so it was easy to find work.  It wasn't too long before that familiar struggle to keep my head above water started rearing its head.  I can't remember a time when my life wasn't about struggle. Being in an new place only amplified it for me. I was becoming desperate so I decided it was time to go into business for myself. That's when i started my own daycare business from my home.  It was slow going at first, but then I hit my stride. I was comfortable but still not where I needed to be financially.  My kids were getting older. Prom and graduations were approaching and of course, college. I haven't mentioned that I've been a single mother since my youngest was about 4 years old.

It was then that I started to think of other ways to supplement my income.  I was working 12 hour days at my daycare business which really didn't leave much time to get an additional part-time job.  I probably could have done it but there's that tiny problem of needing sleep.  I was desperate. I looked to see if I could find any legitimate work-at-home opportunities but nothing really turned up.  Then it hit me. I had started a business doing something I love, so why the heck couldn't I do it again? Writing popped into my head immediately.  I always loved writing but never dared to share my work.  I told myself that it was the time to cut that crap out! So I started writing. I told no one.  As time went on I decided to confide in a friend of mine.  Turns out she actually enjoyed the beginnings of my story.  I really didn't expect that.

One thing led to another and here I am with one published book under my belt and another few works in progress.  I've joined the world of social networking and admit to taking a laid back approach.  You see, I'm not such a great salesperson nor am I big on tooting my own horn.  I realized that that was a recipe for going nowhere in a hurry.  After  a few years of passively telling people about my work and hoping for the best,  I've decided to make a bigger effort.  I've learned that when it really comes down to it, as much as you wish people would become invested in your dreams, they mostly don't.  I am on my own when it comes to reaching for that brass ring. It is up to me, myself and I, to get noticed. So allow me to reintroduce myself. My name is May Torres and I'm a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment