Download the Author May Torres App

Author May Torres
Powered by Conduit Mobile

Friday, January 13, 2012

A Word From Juan

Here's another guest post from one of the characters from Enchanted Island. Meet Juan.

Read May Torres' take on Juan

One summer I was minding my business when the people who own the house next to mine came with some of their friends from New York to visit. I live in Puerto Rico and almost every summer the Padilla family comes back to stay for a few weeks. The father got relocated a few times but now they call New York home. They didn't want to sell their house and I'm glad. They have a son, Gilberto, who I hang out with. Nice kid. He's a few years younger than me but we always got along.

I'll never forget the summer I heard voices on the other side of my fence. I asked if I could come over and of course Gilberto said yes. When I walked up, there was the blonde girl that was trying so hard to get my attention. I pretended not to notice. I looked right over her to see the quiet girl with cool glasses trying to hide from me. It wasn't until I sat down to talk to them, that I noticed just how pretty she was. Gabby...

I knew she was younger than me but after talking to her that night, it was like she was so much better than the girls in my own grade. I couldn't even stop thinking about her when I went home that night. I felt kinda bad cus I could tell that my friend Gilberto really liked her. I didn't know if that was his girlfriend or what. I just knew that she was someone I wanted to get to know. We did share a moment that summer. And I will never forget it.

I pretty much knew that Molly liked me. I just didn't feel the same way about her. She's okay but I never felt for her the way I felt about Gabby. As time went on things just got so complicated. I was in love with Gabby and so was Gilberto. Molly was in love with me and well...nobody was in love with Molly. And she didn't like that one bit. I knew that Gabby felt something for me. She also felt something for Gilberto. I hated that. I couldn't stand the fact that they lived near each other and I was so far from her.

Thinking about all that happened that first summer and everything after, I can't believe how lucky I am. My love for Gabby is so much stronger; we've been through a lot. I can't tell you what the future holds but I know I'm looking forward to it. After what went on, I can handle anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment