Download the Author May Torres App

Author May Torres
Powered by Conduit Mobile

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My Guilty Pleasures...What Are Yours

So, yeah. I have the same sob story you hear quite often today. Broke, single-parent trying to make it. That's me. I am a child care provider by day. Wannabe best-selling author by night :). My days are spent with six children, ranging in age from 21 months to 4 years old. My day starts at 7am and ends at 7pm. I do it all without an assistant. I have two children of my own to tend to, once my day job is over. That's a full-time job in itself.

In between diaper changes and tantrums, I try to get on the internet and schmooze. It's one of my favorite things to do because it puts me in touch with other adults. I work from home. So there's no getting out of the office on my lunch break. I'm basically home all day with the little ones. So if you happen to engage me in online conversation, I thank you! :) But anyway, I tell you this, because dealing with children all day is highly stressful. Throw a wacky personal life in the mix and it makes for a chaotic existence.

I'd say I have about two hours to myself a day, if that. Of course, there are those few hours I spend sleeping. But are we really going to count those? Sometimes I need a break from my reality. One where I don't have to think,or solve anyone else's problem. That's where guilty pleasures enter the equation. The following are quick fixes. Things I can enjoy without putting much thought or effort into.

Television! I dvr lots of shows and catch up on the weekend. When my brain hurts, I turn on the TV and escape for a bit. There are plenty of smart shows that I watch, but that's not what this post is about. I don't feel guilty about watching House, Criminal Minds, or Law & Order: SVU. I'm talking about shows like American Idol, Hell's Kitchen, and yes, The Jersey Shore. The last of these being, the most guilty fun I'll admit to having :D, while watching the boob tube. I'm well aware that I'm losing precious brain cells while sitting through this show. But by golly, I find it so entertaining. The kicker is, I have NO idea why! If you see me in a different light after this confession, eh, I think I can live with it :).

The cast of The Jersey Shore
Another show that falls under the guilty pleasure category is, Spartacus: Blood and Sand. I'm going to use text and instant message speak here, just because this show is so, O-M-G! The prequel to this show, and currently airing is, Spartacus: Gods of The Arena. This show is also O-M-G! After one episode of this show, you too, will feel guilty having watched. You may even decide to take a shower. A cold one! ;)

Music! I love all types of music. I'm more inclined to listen to the singer/songwriter type artist. I love music the way I love my movies. Smart, with great dialogue, compelling me to think about it long after I'm done watching. Again, that's not what this post is about :). When I'm feeling particularly drained, there's Ke$ha and Katy Perry! Ke$ha, and her over-use of autotune, just lighten my spirits. My daughter says, "All her songs sound alike." Yes, but they bring me to a happy place :) Come on, admit it. You know you like Tik Tok! Katy Perry. Bless her girl-kissing heart. Her songs just put a pep in my step. Just put yourself on autopilot and go. Firework and California Gurls. Oh! Sweet, guilty fun. That's coming from a die-hard Alanis Morissette fan!
Ke$ha
Katy Perry
I've admitted to some of my guilty pleasures. What are yours?



No comments:

Post a Comment